Mikhailovskoe village is named very poetically in the language of the local Karelians — Kujarvi, Moon Lake. Old records, however, claim that in 1563 the village was called Loyanitsy. The village was renamed only when the local Mikhailovskoe council and Mikhailovskoe community were formed.
In earlier times, the settlement consisted of 11 villages, located on the shores of Lakes Dolgoe, Loyanskoe, and Tashkenskoe. Each village had their own church and collective farm. In 1959, the state fur farm ’Mikhailovskoe’ was founded, and collective farms were closed. The people were resettled into the central village, where houses were built for them. During the time the state fur farm existed, the village grew, its infrastructure was developed, and a kindergarten was opened to accommodate 140 children. A school too was built as well as a culture house, library, village clinic, shops, cattle farm, rabbit farm, and bass farm. Almost the whole population of the village worked on these farms. In 2000, the state fur farm was closed, and the village began to lose its inhabitants due to lack of employment.
Currently, 560 people live in the village. 60% of them are Lyudiks. The village still has a kindergarten, a school, a library, a clinic, shops, forestry industry, and a bass farm.
In 2004, the church of Saint George was opened. Of 6 abandoned settlements (Nyukhovo, Kukoynavolok, Yakovlevskoe, Moshnichye, Novikovo, Kirga), two are currently being rebuilt (Novikovo and Kirga). The descendants of the Melnikov clan are rebuilding their family lands.Rural tourism and a network of services are being developed.
Today, the active villagers present themselves as a capital of Lyudik Karelians and organise various traditional events in the territory of Lyudikovy Dom, collect books in their native tongue, and encourage parents to have their children learn Karelian in kindergarten. The School of Traditional Crafts has been founded, rural tourism is being developed, and the village streets come to life. In summer there are many people and much fun on the banks of Lake Lunnoe. The villagers hold their festivals, and relatives arrive from all over Karelia. Life goes on. Language and culture are being regenerated. The village lives!